Home    /    International Faculty

International Faculty

Chinese Currency (RMB)


Chinese currency is called Renminbi (People’s Money), often abbreviated as RMB or CNY (Chinese Yuan).

Issued by the People‘s Bank of China, it is the sole legal tender in mainland China. Currencies from any other countries and regions including Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan cannot be accepted. However, foreign currencies or Traveler’s Cheques can be exchanged or cashed for Chinese RMB at the Bank of China and the exchange rate is based on that day’s quotation. The daily opening hours of the Bank of China (and other banks) are from 9 am to 5 pm, including weekends. The Bank of China also accepts foreigners’ applications for opening an account and can deal with their cash saving and withdrawals.

RMB units:yuan (aka kuai), jiao (aka mao), fen

1 yuan = 10 jiao = 100 fen


Yuan (paper only): 100, 50, 20, 10, 5, 2, 1

Jiao (paper and coin): 5, 2, 1

Fen (paper and coin): 5, 2, 1

Credit Cards

Credit Cards

At present, the following credit cards are accepted in China: MasterCard, Federal Card, Visa, American Express, JCB and Diners Card.

Holders can draw cash from the Bank of China or at ATMs of other banks and pay for purchases at appointed shops, international hotels and restaurants. However, this applies only in the major cities.

Credit cards are not always accepted for the purchase of rail and air tickets. It’s strongly advised that you consult your bank(s) about rules governing drawings on your bank accounts in foreign countries.

Currency Conversion

Currency conversion from major foreign currencies to RMB can be easily done at most banks in China. However, converting RMB back to your own currency on the other hand can prove to be more complicated as most places limit to a maximum amount of 500 USD per day, unless you can produce currency exchange receipt(s) from when you exchanged your own currency into RMB, showing a larger amount.

The only exception to that rule is Beijing Capital Airport where you can exchange RMB up to the value of 5000 USD. One way to get around this rule is to have a Chinese friend go with you to the bank and ask him/her to convert for you using his/her ID.

Emergency Contact

Emergency contact numbers:

110: Police (Public Security Bureau)

119: Fire and Rescue Services

120: Accident and Emergency (Emergency Room)

Considering the language problems you might encounter with the operators, it is suggested that you contact the liaison officer in the OIR or the liaison lecturer(s) in your school/department in an emergency situation and they will make contact with the relevant services for you in Beijing.

Mail & Parcels


Attention: (Your Name) Office of International Relations Minzu University of China, 27 Zhongguancun South Avenue, Haidian District, Beijing, P. R. China 100081

Chinese: 中国北京中关村南大街27号中央民族大学国际合作处 邮编: 100081

Letters or parcels sent to the address above will safely come to the Foreign Affairs Office and the liaison officer will notify you as soon as they arrive.

If you have letters or parcels to send, you can use the China Post Office located on the campus. Mail costs vary greatly depending on how you ship things.

Tip: Sending by air is much more expensive than sending by surface mail (e.g. boat), but can take two months.

China Post

This is China’s largest and most extensive postal service. International postal services are available. English speaking staff shouldn’t be hard to find.

International Shipping Services Directory


800-988-1888 (Toll-Free Line)

400-886-1888 (Mobile Phone )



800-810-8000 (Toll-Free Line)

400-810-8000 (Mobile Phone )


  • Copyright©2018  Office of International Relations , Minzu University of China
  • Add:27 Zhongguancun South Avenue Beijing,China
  • Zip code:100081
  • E-mail: